Thursday, November 26, 2009

Me? Or We.


Where are the Police of my youth?

Our country, in the 1950s, was focused upon the small town. But, even in large cities the police were friends to whom our parents turned in times of trouble. the Police themselves were pleasant and friendly. Jails and prisons were the residence of a small percentage of our population.

Today, we have the highest percentage of our population in the developed world in prison. Prison populations are disproportionately black and gangs grow and prosper in them. Islam has found our prisons to be fertile recruiting grounds. That’s Islam, the fanatics, not Islam the people who wish to worship in their own way and willing to let others do the same.

Our police are more feared than respected. Police work attracts a different kind of person today. There is a tendency for police to become isolated from society and the populace in general is happy to let them be by themselves. Because, “who wants a cop around when you are having fun?” Alpharetta, at least, has a program to try and integrate the police into the community. A very good idea. But, I digress.

More and more laws are written and enforced with less and less intelligent thought brought to bear. Schools take a zero tolerance (read no common sense need be present here) attitude to the most minor infractions. Some fear that we are becoming a Police State. Others fear that the “trash” are destroying our neighborhoods. Gangs are growing and more and more citizens are afraid for their children, their elderly and themselves.

Why?

Why? In my opinion the why is simple. We have become a nation of “Me.” Me, the Pro Life zealot. I know what is right and you must live with my rules. Me, the overly religious nut who says “it is a sin to sell wine on Sunday.” Me, the Pro Choice activist. I know what is right and you will live by my rules.

What about Me, the gang member. This is my turf and I rule here. Give me your purse or wallet or I will beat you. Or, Me, the teacher. Your child is a disruption because he/she doesn’t fit my mold. I can’t have a child who needs my attention in my class. Or, Me, the parent who can’t be bothered to get involved. It is school’s job to raise my child.

Our politicians are self involved. They are all on the take. Look at health care. I don’t care which side you are on. Just look at one fact. None of the Congresspersons or Senators or their staffs will be a part of whatever health care system they finally adopt. They are too good for that. They are exempt.

Whose fault is this? Well, you don’t need me to answer that. Everyone knows the answer. It is this same Me.

Only We can make this better. And We means a lot of mes working together with mutual respect and with joint purpose. And, you know what? If Me becomes we, a lot of police will become our friend again; protecting and serving. It is not They. It is not we. It is Me.

Are you a Me or a we.

Bruce Maynes

No comments:

Post a Comment